Amaranthus (Arai Keerai), is very popular in south Indian cooking. Amaranth leaves are low in saturated fat and very low in cholesterol and is a good source of protein. It’s rich in iron and Vitamin A. It helps in improvement of blood in the body.
|Araikeerai||– 2 bunches|
|Green chilly||– 1|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Cumin powder||– ½ tsp.|
|Oil||– 1 tsp.|
|Mustard||– ½ tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– 1 tsp.|
- Clean and remove the leaves from araikeerai.
- Cut onion, tomato and green chilly into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard.
- When it splutters, add ured dhal.
- Fry for a minute and add chilly and onions.
- When it turns golden, fry tomatoes till mushy.
- Now add keerai, salt and cumin powder and cook in low flame.
- When it becomes thick switch off the stove and serve as a curry for rice.