Aappam, also known as hoppers, is a traditional dish from South India. It is a soft and fluffy rice pancake. Aappam is a popular breakfast dish in Kerala and Tamil Nadu and is often served with coconut milk and potato stew.
Aappam is not only delicious but also healthy. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan, making it suitable for people with various dietary restrictions. The fermentation process increases the bioavailability of nutrients, making it easier for the body to absorb essential vitamins and minerals.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Par boiled rice – 1 cup
- Ured dhal – ¼ cup
- Salt – as needed
- Soak rice and dhal together for 3 hours.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add salt at the end.
- Heat the aappam pan for 2 minutes.
- Pour one ladle of batter and gently swirl the pan so that thin layer of the batter is on the sides and thick layer is at the bottom.
- Put 1 tsp. of oil and close the lid and cook in medium flame for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and take the aappam and serve hot with potato stew.