Jackfruit, known for its enormous size and sweet, tropical flavor, is often celebrated for its ripe, golden fruit. However, there’s more to this versatile fruit than just its juicy flesh. Hidden within its fibrous core lie precious jackfruit seeds that can be transformed into a delightful and aromatic chutney powder.
Jackfruit seeds are not just edible; they are packed with essential nutrients. Rich in protein, healthy carbohydrates, and dietary fiber, they make a nutritious addition to any meal. These seeds are also a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and minerals like potassium, magnesium, and iron. Their impressive nutrient profile contributes to a healthy diet and supports overall well-being.
Jackfruit seeds have a starchy texture and a mild, nutty flavor. Jackfruit seeds are incredibly versatile, lending themselves to a wide array of culinary creations. They can be enjoyed boiled, roasted, steamed, or even ground into flour for baking. The seeds have a slightly nutty flavor and a creamy, starchy texture, making them a delightful addition to both savory and sweet dishes.
It is worth noting that jackfruit seeds should be cooked before consumption, as they are indigestible when raw. The outer skin of the seeds should be removed, and they can be boiled or roasted until tender.
Jackfruit Seeds Chutney Powder
- Jackfruit Seeds – 30
- Ured Dhal – ½ cup
- Grated Coconut – ½ cup
- Red Chillies – 12
- Tamarind – small lemon sized
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp.
- Garlic – 8 cloves
- Oil – 2 tsp.
- Salt – as needed
- To prepare the Jackfruit Seeds Chutney Powder, start by washing the jackfruit seeds thorough-ly and then sundry them for 3-4 days. This process helps in peeling off the plasticky white skin more easily. Once dried, peel off the skin and roughly chop the seeds.
- Heat a thick kadai or pan over medium flame. Place the jackfruit seeds in the kadai and dry roast them until they turn crisp with brown spots. Set them aside.
- In the same kadai, dry roast the urad dal and grated coconut until they become crisp and re-lease a delightful aroma. Remove them from the kadai and keep them aside.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to the kadai, then add tamarind, red chillies, and curry leaves. Fry them until they become crisp and fragrant.
- Once the chillies are crisp, add asafoetida and garlic to the kadai. Sauté them for 2-3 minutes. This step is recommended as jackfruit seeds are rich in dietary fiber and may lead to digestive issues like gas and bloating. Adding these ingredients helps in balancing their effects.
- Finally, add the roasted jackfruit seeds and roasted urad dal to the chilli mixture in the kadai. Mix everything together for a minute and then switch off the heat. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Transfer all the ingredients, including salt, to a blender or food processor. Grind them into a fine powder.
- Your tasty, flavorful, and unique Jackfruit Seeds Chutney Powder is now ready to be enjoyed. Store it in an airtight container to retain its freshness. It can be savored with dosa, idli, or any other dish of your choice whenever you desire a burst of delicious flavors.
- Enjoy the delightful experience of this homemade chutney powder made from nutritious jackfruit seeds!