Chow chow kurma is one of the tasty side dish that goes well with chapathi or dosa. Chow chow is also called as Chayote is rich in water content. Chayote contains no cholesterol and unhealthy fats, and is usually recommended for controlling bad cholesterol levels and promoting healthy weight. Chayote is also rich in dietary fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and vitamin C. Chayote contains only 19 calories per 100-grams and so it is very good for weight loss.
Chow Chow Kurma
- Chow Chow / Chayote - 1
- Grated Coconut - ½ cup
- Cashew Nuts -6
- Sambar Powder - 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Fennel Seeds - ¼ tsp.
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cinnamon - 1 small piece
- Garlic - 1 crushed
- Onion - 1 chopped finely
- Tomato - 1 chopped finely
- Milk - 1 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Wash and peel the outer skin of chow chow and then chop them into 1 inch square pieces after removing the seeds.
- Heat oil in a pan and add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds and garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Now you can add chopped onion and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- You can now add chopped tomato and fry till it becomes soft.
- Add the chopped chow chow, turmeric powder, sambar powder, salt and milk and boil.
- In the meantime, grind cashew nuts and coconut to a fine paste.
- When the chow chow is half cooked add the ground coconut paste and boil till it becomes thick.
- Serve hot with Dosa or chapathi.