Baingan ka bharta is a famous North Indian recipe made with large variety of brinjal. I learnt this recipe from one of my friend in Bangalore. It goes well with chapathi or roti. But I personally like it with cooked steamed rice. For this we have to roast the eggplant in stove or in microwave.
|Eggplant/ Brinjal||– 1 large|
|Onion||– 1 (chopped finely)|
|Green chillies||– 2 (cut finely)|
|Cumin seeds||– ½ tsp.|
|Ginger garlic paste||– 1 tsp.|
|Tomatoes||– 2 (chopped finely)|
|Red chilli powder||– ½ to 1 tsp.|
|Coriander powder||– 1 tsp.|
|Garam masala||– ¾ tsp.|
|Salt||– as needed or 1 tsp.|
|Turmeric powder||– ¾ tsp.|
|Corriander leaves||– a handful|
|Oil||– 2 tbsp.|
- Wash and wipe the eggplant nicely. Take one teaspoon of oil and coat the eggplant.
- Keep inside the microwave for 8 to 10 minutes. Or you can roast it directly over flame of gas stove for few minutes turning all the sides until the skin shrivels and eggplant gets cooked.
- When the eggplant cools, peel the skin and mash roughly and keep aside.
- Heat oil in pan and add cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add green chillies and ginger garlic paste and fry it for few minutes.
- Add onion and fry till it becomes soft and transparent.
- Add cut tomatoes and fry till it mashes well.
- Add mashed eggplant, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and turmeric powder and cook for 10 to 15 minutes till oil separates from the sides of the pan. Stir in between to avoid burning.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with chapathi or hot rice.