Beetroot Porial is a delightful South Indian dish that celebrates the earthy flavors and vibrant colors of beetroots. It is a simple and nutritious porial made by cooking finely chopped beetroot with a tempering of aromatic spices. This humble yet flavorful dish is a staple in many South Indian households, where it is often served as a side dish with rice and other traditional meals.
To prepare Beetroot Porial, the beetroot is first peeled and finely chopped, allowing it to cook evenly and absorb the flavors of the spices. In a hot pan, a tempering of mustard seeds and urad dal (split black gram) is added, infusing the dish with a tantalizing aroma.
Next, the chopped beetroot is added to the pan, along with a cup of water, chilly powder and salt. The mixture is stirred well to ensure the beetroot is coated with the aromatic spices. The Porial is then cooked on low to medium heat until the beetroot becomes tender. The addition of freshly grated coconut towards the end enhances the dish with its rich flavor and delightful texture.
Beetroot Porial is not only a visual delight with its vivid red hue but also a nutritional powerhouse. Beetroots are known for their high antioxidant content. They support heart health by lowering blood pressure and contribute to healthy digestion due to their fiber content. Additionally, beetroots are a good source of essential nutrients like folate, vitamin C, potassium, and iron.
This flavorful and wholesome dish can be served as a side with steamed rice, rasam, sambar, or any other South Indian main course. Its subtle sweetness, balanced with the warmth of spices, makes it appealing to both kids and adults. Beetroot Porial is an excellent way to incorporate this nutrient-packed vegetable into your diet, providing a burst of flavors that will leave you coming back for more.
Beetroot Porial: The Perfect Side Dish for Every Meal
- Cutting Board
- Pan or Skillet
- Cooking Ladle
- Beetroot – 2 peeled and chopped finely
- Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
- Salt – as neededp.
- Chilly Powder – ½ tsp.
- Oil – 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Ured Dhal – 1 tsp.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add ured dhal and fry for half a minute.
- Now add chopped beetroot, chilly powder, salt and 1 cup of water and cook till water evapo-rates and beetroot is cooked well.
- Add grated coconut and mix well and switch off the flame.
- Your flavorsome beetroot side dish is now ready to be served hot, a perfect accompaniment to rice.
- Feel free to adjust the spices and seasonings according to your taste preferences.
- This dish can be made spicier by adding more red chilies or milder by reducing the quantity of spices.
- You can also grate beeroot and fry after adding mustard seeds and ured dhal.