When the summer season arrives, nature blesses us with an abundance of raw mangoes. While the ripe mangoes are sweet and juicy, the raw ones offer a tangy and refreshing flavor that adds a delightful twist to various dishes. One such culinary gem is Raw Mango Rice, a popular South Indian delicacy that showcases the unique taste of raw mangoes.
Raw Mango Rice, also known as “Mavinakayi Chitranna” in Kannada and “Maanga Sadam” in Tamil, brings together the tanginess of raw mangoes with aromatic spices and fluffy rice grains. The combination creates a harmonious symphony of flavors that are both tantalizing and refreshing. The natural tartness of raw mangoes balances beautifully with the warmth of spices, resulting in a dish that is sure to tickle your taste buds.
Let’s dive into a delightful recipe to prepare Raw Mango Rice:
Raw Mango Rice: A Tangy and Flavorful South Indian Delicacy
- Rice - 1 cup
- Raw Mango - 1 medium-sized peeled and grated
- Gingelly Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ured Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Channa Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida hing - a pinch
- red chilies - 1 or 2 dried broken into pieces
- Curry Leaves - 1 spring
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp.
- Salt - as needed or 1 tsp.
- Cook the rice according to your preferred method and let it cool. Ensure that the rice grains are separate and not mushy.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then, add ured dhal and channa dhal. Stir until the dhals turn golden brown.
- Add asafoetida, dried red chilies, and curry leaves. Sauté for a few seconds until the spices re-lease their aroma.
- Add the grated raw mango to the pan and cook for a few minutes until the mango softens slightly.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt over the mango mixture. Mix well to coat the mango evenly.
- Add the cooked and cooled rice to the pan. Gently mix everything together, ensuring that the mango mixture coats the rice evenly.
- Adjust salt and spice levels according to your taste preferences.
- Remove the Raw Mango Rice from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve the Raw Mango Rice warm as a standalone dish or pair it with yogurt, pickle, or papad for a complete meal.
- After adding the grated raw mango to the tempering, you can also add freshly grated coconut to the mixture. The addition of coconut adds a creamy texture and enhances the overall flavor profile.
- For an extra crunch and richness, you can roast some cashew nuts in ghee and add them to the tempering before mixing with the rice. The roasted cashews add a delightful nutty flavor and a nice texture contrast.
- If you prefer a spicier version, you can increase the quantity of red chilies or add additional spices like red chili powder, black pepper, or garam masala. Adjust the spice levels according to your preference to give the dish an extra kick.
- Vegetable Raw Mango Rice: To make the dish more wholesome and nutritious, you can add finely chopped vegetables like carrots, beans, peas, or bell peppers to the tempering. Sauté the vegetables until they are cooked, then mix them with the grated raw mango and rice for a colorful and flavorful variation.