Mor Keerai, also known as Buttermilk Spinach Curry, is a popular and healthy dish from the state of Tamil Nadu in India. This dish combines the nutritious goodness of spinach with the tangy flavor of buttermilk to create a simple and delicious curry that can be enjoyed as a side dish or a main meal. This dish is not only nutritious but also easy to prepare, making it a popular choice for busy weekdays.
We can use any keerai for making this. In this blog post, we will explore the history and benefits of Mor Keerai and share a simple recipe that you can try at home.
The benefits of spinach are well-known, and it is considered to be one of the healthiest vegetables you can eat. Spinach is rich in iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, and other essential nutrients that are important for maintaining good health. Buttermilk is also a good source of calcium and helps to aid digestion, making this dish an excellent choice for anyone looking to eat a healthy and balanced diet.
Mor Keerai / Buttermilk Spinach Curry
- Any Keerai Greens – 1 bunch (cleaned and chopped finely)
- Curd – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 tsp. or as needed
- Grated Coconut – ½ cup
- Green Chillies -2
- Rice Flour – 2 tsps.
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Coconut Oil – 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Ured Dhal – 1 tsp.
- Red Chillies – 2 broken into two
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- In a thick bottomed vessel add the cleaned and chopped keerai with 1 cup of water and cook till the keerai is cooked well and water evaporates.
- In the meantime we can grind coconut, green chilles, cumin seeds and rice flour to a fine paste in a mixer.
- When the keerai is cooked well add the ground paste, salt and curd and keep in low flame and cook till the mor keerai statrs to boil.
- Switch off the flame.
- In another small pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add ured dhal, red chillies and curry leaves and fry for half a minute and pour over this keerai.
- Mor Keerai is ready to be served.