Bitter gourd, also known as pavakkai in Tamil, is a vegetable that is often disliked due to its bitter taste. However, when cooked with a blend of spices, it transforms into a flavorful and delicious dish. Pavakkai podi curry is a popular Tamil Nadu recipe that is both easy to make and packed with flavors. In this article, we will guide you through everything you need to know about making pavakkai podi curry.
Making this curry is simple. just fry the onions and bitter gourd with some spices and cook till the bitter gourd is fried well.
Pavakkai podi curry is a delectable and healthy South Indian dish that can be easily prepared at home. The right blend of spices can help turn the bitterness of the bitter gourd into a flavorful and aromatic delight.
A few tips to keep in mind: adjust the amount of spices to your preference, soak the slices in salted water for a longer time to reduce bitterness.
Pavakkai podi curry is a delectable and healthy South Indian dish that can be easily prepared at home. The right blend of spices can help turn the bitterness of the bitter gourd into a flavorful and aromatic delight. So, give this recipe a try the next time you come across a bitter gourd, and you might be surprised at how delicious it can be!
Pavakkai (Bitter Gourd) Podi Curry
- Pavakkai Bitter Gourd – ¼ kg. (chopped finely)
- Onion – 1 chopped finely
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Salt – as needed or ½ tsp.
- Oil – 2 tsps.
- Mustard Seeds – 1 t
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add ured dhal and fry in low flame till it turns golden.
- Now add chopped onions and fry till onions change colour.
- Add finely chopped bitter gourd, salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder and fry till the bitter gourd is cooked well.
- Serve hot with rice.
- You can adjust the amount of spices as per your preference.
- If you don't like the bitterness of the bitter gourd, you can soak the slices in salted water for longer to reduce the bitterness.