Vazhaipoo Kola Urundai is a very interesting tea time snack which is liked by all. You will be amazed by the taste of this kola urundai. Cleaning of vazhaipoo is time consuming process. But when you taste this you will surely like the effort you made.
Vazhaipoo (Banana Blossom) Kola Urundai
- Vazhaipoo or Banana Flower – 1 flower cleaned and chopped finely
- Pottukadalai or Fried Gram – ½ cup
- Coconut Pieces – 5 or 6
- Rice Flour – 1 tbsp.
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Garlic Cloves – 6 or 7
- Ginger – 2 inch piece
- Dry Red Chillies – 8
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp.
- Curry Leaves – handful
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- Grind the fried gram to a fine powder in a mixie and keep in a vessel.
- Clean the vazhaipoo and keep in buttermilk till the time you use.
- In the same mixer jar, add fennel seeds, cumin seeds, onion, cocnut pieces ginger, garlic, dry red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and grind nicely and transfer into a broad vessel.
- Grind vazhaipoo also to a fine paste and transfer it to the same vessel.
- Now add the ground fried gram, rice flour and salt and mix well.
- In a pan, heat oil and add small balls of this mixture.
- Cook all sides evenly till it gets browned. Do not over fry the urundai. Keep in medium flame.
- Remove from oil and drain in a colander.
- Serve hot.
- If the mixture is watery add little more fried gram powder.