Generally we make different type of sambar at home. In this kadamba sambar we add mixed vegetables and make. This is one of the sambar prepared during festivals. This sambar goes well with Ven Pongal, Idly or Dosa.
Here are the link for other sambar recipes.
- Keerai Thandu Sambar / Amaranthus Stem Lentil Curry
- Mochai Kottai / Field Beans Sambar
- Venthaya Keerai (Methi / Fenugreek Leaves) Sambar
- Hotel Sambar
- Easy Sambar
- Araichu Vitta Sambar/ Varuthu Araicha Sambar
- Drumstick (Murungaikkai) sambar
Now let us see how to make kadamba sambar.
Kadamba Sambar / Mixed Vegetable Sambar
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 1 Thick bottomed vessel
- 1 Ladle
- Toor Dhal – 1 cup
- Drumstick – 1 Cut into 2 inch long pieces
- Brinjals – 3 cut into 1 inch square pieces
- Raw Mango – 1 cut into 1 inch square pieces
- Carrot – 1 cut in to medium cubes
- Broad Beans – 3 cut into 1 inch pieces
- Potato – 1 peeled and cut into 1 inch square pieces
- Beans – 2 cut into 1 inch pieces
- Onions – 2 chopped finely
- Tomatoes – 2 chopped finely
- Green Chillies – 3 slit lenghtwiseur
- Tamarind – medium lemon sized
- Sambar Powder – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp. or as needed
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
- Ghee – 2 tsps.
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Ured Dhal – 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp.
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Coriander Leaves – a handful
- Soak tamarind in hot water and take tamarind juice..
- Soak toor dhal in water for 15 minutes.
- Grind cocout into a fine paste by adding little water.
- In a pressure cooker, cook toor dhal with turmeric powder for three whistles. Toor dhal should be cooked finely.
- In a pan, heat ghee and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add ured dhal, asafoetida, red chillies and curry leaves and fry till ured dhal turns golden.
- Now add chopped onion and fry till it turns golden. Keep in simmer.
- Add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the chopped vegetables and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add a cup of water and close with a lid and cook till the vegetables are cooked well.
- You can now add tamarind water, cooked toor dhal, salt and sambar powder and boil.
- Add coconut paste and cook till sambar thickens.
- Switch off the stove and garnish with Chopped coriander leaves.