Snake gourd is highly nutritious and is high in water content. It gives cooling effect for the body and has no cholesterol. Snake gourd is full of vitamins and minerals. Snake gourd is also rich in fiber and is good for people with diabetes.
Making stuffed snake gourd is simple and easy. Usually we stuff with potatoes. But I have used besan flour in this.
Stuffed Snake Gourd (Pudalangai)
- Snake Gourd – 500 g.
- Onion – 2 chopped finely
- Gram Flour / Besan – 1 cup
- Salt – as needed
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Garam Masala – 1/4 tsp.
- Oil - for shallow frying
- Peel the skin of snake gourd and cut into 1 inch pieces and scoop the flesh and seeds out.
- In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil and add chopped onions.
- When the onions turn transparent add salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala and mix well.
- Now add gram flour and sprinkle little water and mix well.
- Let the mixture cool down.
- Take the snake gourd pieces and stuff the snake gourd with the stuffing and keep in a plate.
- Heat oil in a pan and slowly keep the stuffed snake gourd pieces and keep in simmer.
- Cover and cook till one side cooks well.
- Slowly turn the other side and cook.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the snake gourd pieces and serve hot with rice.