Chow Chow is rich in antioxidants. It keeps inflammation at bay. They prevent cell related damage and prevent onset of type 2 diabetes by controlling blood sugar levels. Chow chow is also rich in fiber and folate which is good for pregnant woman.
We usually make chow chow kootu and chow chow kurma. This is a simple porial which can be served with rice.
Chow Chow / Chayote Porial
- Chow Chow – 1
- Oil – 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Ured Dhal – 1 tsp.
- Red Chilly – 1
- Salt – ½ tsp. or as needed
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
- Peel and chop chow chow into small square pieces.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add ured dhal and broken red chilly and fry for half a minute.
- Now add chow chow, salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Close with a lid and cook in low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add grated coconut and mix well.
- Chow chow porial is ready to be served.