Murungai keerai vadai is a famous South Indian tea time snack. This is basically masal vadai in which drumstick leaves are added. Drumstick leaves are rich in protein and also contains all important amino acids. The leaves are mainly rich in calcium, potassium, phosphorous, iron, and vitamins A, D, C.
We make drumstick leaves porial and drumstick leaves adai. If we make drumstick leaves vadai, kids will eat the vadai.
Drumstick Leaves (Murungai Keerai) Vadai
- Channa Dhal – 1 cup
- Drumstick leaves – ½ cup
- Onion – 1 chopped finely
- Red Chillies – 5 or 6
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Salt – as needed or 1 tsp.
- Garlic – 6 cloves.
- Oil – for deep frying the vadai
- Soak channa dhal for 3 hours with red chillies.
- Grind the channa dhal, red chillies, garlic and fennel seeds by adding very little water to a coarse paste.
- In a vessel, take the ground mixture and add chopped onions, drumstick leaves and salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and make small balls out of the mixture. Flatten them with hands and slowly drop into the hot oil.
- Fry the vadas both sides till they become golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- If the dhal mixture is little runny, add some rice flour and mix well and make vadas.