Lots of people does not like the taste of bitter gourd due to its bitter taste. We make different recipes using bitter gourd like stuffed bitter gourd fry, bitter gourd curry, bitter gourd podi, bitter gourd fry and pavakkai pitlai. This bitter gourd thokku is tangy, spicy and tasty pickle. We can also mix this with rice or use as a pickle.
But bitter gourd is very good for our health. It is packed with vitamins and minerals. It has iron, magnesium, potassium and vitamins like A and C. Various anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds are present in bitter gourd. It is rich source of soluble fiber and is low in glycemic index, which helps in lowering the blood sugar level.
Pavakkai Thokku / Bitter Gourd Thokku
- Bitter Gourd – 2
- Tamarind – lemon sized
- Chilli Powder – 3 tsps. or as needed
- Salt – as needed
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Grated Jaggery – 1 tbsp.
- Gingelly Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Soak tamarind in enough hot water and extract juice.
- Grate bitter gourd and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add asafoetida and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Now add grated bitter gourd, chilli powder, turmeric powde and salt and mix well.
- Cook in low flame till oil oozes out of the pickle.
- Now add grated jaggery and cook in low flame till the thokku is cooked well.
- Switch off the flame and when cooled store in airtight container and use.