We generally eat idly and dosa for breakfast with chutney and sambar. Sometimes we take idly podi with idly or dosa for a change. Instead of taking normal idly podi we can make healthy and tasty idly podi using drumstick leaves. This powder can also be taken with rice as paruppu podi.
Drumstick leaves are a great source of protein and also contain all important amino acids. The leaves are mainly rich in calcium, potassium, phosphorous, iron, and vitamins A, D, C. These leaves have anti-inflamatory properties. Drumstick leaves stabilize the blood sugar levels due to the presence of isothiocyanates. They bring down the bad cholesterol levels, which can block the blood vessels thereby causing a heart attack.
Now let us see how to make drumstick leaves idly podi at home.
Drumstick Leaves / Murungai Keerai Idly Podi
- Drumstick Leaves – 2 cups
- Ured Dhal – 1 cup
- Channa Dhal – 1 cup
- Black Pepper – 5 tsp.
- Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp.
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp.
- Salt – as needed or 1 tsp.
- Remove stems from drumstick leaves and wash them well and place in a cotton cloth and dry inside home for 3 days. Do not dry in sunlight.
- In a pan heat a teaspoon of oil and add ured dhal, channa dhal, cumin seeds, black peper and asafoetida and roast till the dhals turn golden in colour.
- Remove and cool in a plate.
- In the same pan dry roast the drumstick leaves in low flame till it becomes crispy.
- Take this also in the same plate and cool down.
- After everything gets cool down, grind the ingredients in a mixer along with salt to a smooth powder.
- Store in an airtight container after the idly podi cools down.