This is a simple kathirikkai or brinjal gravy prepared in village style. This is simple and easy to make and it is very tasty. We have to just add all the vegetables, cumin seeds and salt and cook and mash them. Then we have to season this with some basic ingredients.
Kathirikkai (Eggplant) Kadaisal
- Brinjal – ½ kg.
- Small Onion – 10
- Garlic Cloves – 10
- Tomatoes – 4
- Green Chillies – 7 (Slit lengthwise)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Salt – as needed or 1 tsp.
- Coconut Oil – 2 tsps.
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Small Onions – 5 chopped finely
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Cut brinjals into 1 inch square pieces.
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 cup of water and add chopped brinjals, peeled small onions, garlic, green chillies, cumin seeds and chopped tomatoes.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Remove the whistle and with a masher, mash the brinjal gravy well by adding salt.
- In a pan, take oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add chopped onions and curry leaves and fry for half a minute.
- Add this to the cooked and mashed brinjal gravy.
- Serve hot with cooked rice.