Cucumber chutney is a healthy chutney which can be made very easily. It goes well with rice, idly or dosa. This a Mangalore recipe.
This chutney can also be made using English cucumbers. If you want you can add grated coconut while grinding the chutney.
- Cucumber – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Onion – 1
- Curry Leaves – a small bunch
- Green Chillies – 2 slit lengthwise
- Oil – 2 tsps.
- Mustard – ½ tsp.
- Ured dal – 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida powder – a pinch
- Salt – 1 tsp or as needed
- Wash and peel cucumber and cut into medium sized pieces.
- Cut onion and tomato into 1 inch pieces and keep aside.
- In a pan, add oil and whe it heats add onion and green chillies and fry well till the onion turns transparent. Keep in low flame
- Now add chopped tomato and fry till tomato pieces turns mushy.
- Add chopped cucumber and fry for 3 minutes in low flame.
- Switch off the stove and let it cool down.
- Take a mixie and grind this to a smooth paste with salt. No need to add water as the cucumber alrady has water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When it splutters, add ured dhal and curry leaves and fry till ured dhal turns its colour and switch off the flame.
- Add this to the cucumber mixture.
- Serve this cucumber chutney with rice, idly or dosa.