Onion vada is a tea time snack available in Kerala tea shops. We can make ulli vada with basic ingredients present in our kitchen. This is simple and easy to make.For making ulli vada, we use gram flour and rice flour mixed with simple spices and deep fried in hot oil.
Kerala Ulli (Onion) Vada is simple and easy to make.
- Onion – 1 large thinly sliced
- Rice Flour – 2 tbsps.
- Gram Flour – ½ cup
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Salt – as needed or 1 tsp.
- Oil – for deep frying
- In a broad vessel, take thinly sliced onions, gram flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, salt and curry leaves and mix well and keep aside for half an hour.
- Mix well. By this time onions will release moisture. If the mixture is dry sprinkle very little water and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and keep in medium flame.
- Take a small ball and flatten it and drop in oil and fry till golden brown in colour by turning on both sides.
- Remove from hot oil and drain in a colander.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.