Sundaikkai (Turkey Berry) is usually grown in the backyards of many homes. It has lots of health benefits. Turkey berry increases the production of red blood cells and so it is good for people with anemia. Sundaikkai is good for people with diabetes as it helps to control blood sugar. They also help lower blood pressure, keep cardiovascular diseases away, and can help kidney function.
We cook sundaikkai in many ways like making vathal kuzhambu. Here I am sharing a simple yet tasty paruppu podi made with sundaikkai. Just add some podi over rice and little gingelly oil and mix. Amazing rice will be ready.
Dry Sundaikkai Paruppu Podi / Turkey Berry Powder
- Sundaikkai Vathal – ¼ cup
- Channa Dhal – ½ cup
- Ured Dhal – ½ cup
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp.
- Red Chillies – 6
- Curry Leaves – two handfuls
- Ghee – 1 tsp.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry sundaikkkai vthal and curry leaves in low flame. Fry till the curry leaves turn crisp.
- Remove an keep in a plate.
- In the same pan, add channa dhal, ured dhal, pepper and red chillies and fry till the dhals turn golden brown.
- Remove and keep in the same plate to cool.
- Grind them in a mixie to a fine powder. No need to add salt as sundaikkai vathal already has salt.
- Store in an airtight container.
- You can have this with cooked rice. It also goes well with idly and dosa.