Kadappa is a traditional dish of Kumbakonam in Tamilnadu. It is called as Kumbakonam kadappa and is made using moong dhal and potatoes cooked with some spices and adding ground coconut mixture. Kadappa is a rich gravy which goes well with Idly or Dosa. You can find kadappa in every restaurant in Kumbakonam. This recipe is simple to make.Kadappa has very strong masala flavours unlike other dishes like sambar. It is one of the best accompaniments for idlies and dosa.
- Moong Dhal – ½ cup
- Potatoes – 4 medium sized
- Onions – 2 chopped finely
- Tomato – 1 chopped finely
- Salt – 1 tsp. or as needed
- Oil - 2 tsps.
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Grated Coconut – ½ cup
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Green Chillies – 5
- Cinnamon – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Star Anise – 1
- Cardamom – 2
- Fennel Seeds – 2 tsps.
- In a cooker cook moong dhal finely.
- Cook potatoes and peel the skin and mash roughly.
- Grind all the ingredients given to a fine paste in a mixie by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and fry in medium flame till it changes its colour.
- Now add chopped tomato and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the cooked dhal, potatoes, salt and ground masala and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and whenit boils keep in simmer for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and you can serve the kadappa with idly or dosa.