We make different types of snacks in our home.we make snacks like murukku, thattai, ribbon pakoda, omapodi, etc. We generally make thattai using rice flour. But I have made thattai using wheat flour. This is a crispy deep fried snack. To make crispy thattai, we need to roll it thin, otherwise the thattai will not be crisp.
Wheat Flour Thattai
- Wheat Flour – 4 cups
- Ured Dhal Flour – ¼ cup
- Bengal Gram – ¼ cup
- Chilli Powder – 2 tsp.
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Softened Butter – ¼ cup
- Oil – for deep frying
- Soak bengal gram in water for half an hour and drain.
- In a bowl, add wheat flour, ured dhal flour, bengal gram, chilli powder, salt and softened butter and mix well.
- Add water little by little to make a soft dough.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Take a plastic sheet and take small balls of the dough and flatten it on the plastic sheet by applying oil on the plastic sheet.
- When the oil is hot enough, keep in simmer and add thattai. Fry till the thattai becomes golden brown in colour by turning both sides.
- You can fry 3 or 4 thattai at a time.
- Drain the thattai in a colander.
- When cooled store in an air tight container.
- For making ured dhal flour, dry roast the ured dhal in a pan till it becomes golden brown and grind to a fine powder when cooled.