One of the most prepared rice in North Indian cuisine is Jeera rice. For making this rice we use basmati rice which is cooked with jeera and other mild spices. Jeera rice is served with side dishes like Paneer Butter Masala, Palak Paneer, Kurma, Chole Masala, Rajma Masala and dhal.Jeera is other name for cumin in India. As jeera is used to make this rice, this is called jeera rice. Cumin seeds are rich in iron, zinc, calcium and copper. Cumin seeds contains medical properties that helps to fight diabetes, tumor, epilepsy and it also increases immunity.
People with a weak digestive system are recommended to drink jeera water early in the morning on empty stomach for better digestion and to decrease flatulence.
Jeera Rice / Cumin Seeds Rice.
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Green Chilli – 1 slit lengthwise
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – ½ tsp. or as needed.
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cardamoms – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Wash rice and soak in water for half an hour.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add bay leaf, cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon for half a minute.
- Add green chilli and fry for 30 seconds.
- Drain the rice and add to this and saute for 2 minutes. Stir the rice gently. Otherwise the rice will break.
- Frying like this brings the aroma of rice.
- Pour water and salt and mix well.
- When the water boils, cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook till one whistle.
- When the pressure cools down, remove the whistle and mix well.
- Serve hot with curry of your choice.