Today I am sharing a thogayal recipe which is made from ridge gourd peel. We can make this with simple ingredients. We usually peel the peerkangai and make peerkangai kadyal or make some other dish. Peels are fibre rich and have nutritive value.The peel of the ridge gourd is hard. But when we make them into thogayal, the texture and taste is very good. This thogayal goes well with idly or dosa.
Peerkangai Thol Thogayal / Ridge Gourd Peel Thogayal
- Peerkangai / Ridge Gourd Peel – 2 cups
- Ured Dhal – 3 tbsp.
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Small Onions – 12
- Green Chillies – 4
- Red Chillies – 4
- Tamarind – big gooseberry size
- Oil – 2 tsps.
- Salt – as needed or 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Coriander Leaves - a handful
- Grated Coconut – ½ cup
- Gingelly Oil – 2 tsps.
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Ured Dhal – 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves – 1 spring
- Wash the ridge gourd peel well and chop them finely.
- In a pan add gingelly oil and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutteer, add ured dhal and fry for a minute.
- Add curry leaves and fry for a second and keep separately in a plate.
- In the same pan add oil and add ured dhal and roast till the dhal turns red.
- Add garlic, small onions, green chilles and red chillies and fry well. If you want the thogayal to be less spicy add less chillies.
- Now add the chopped ridge gourd peel and add salt and cook well. Sprinkle little water and cook.
- Add tamarind and curry leaves and fry well for 8 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves and grated coconut and mix well.
- Switch off the stove and let it cool down.
- Grind the peerkangai mixture in a mixer by adding little water. Do not add more water. Grind them coarsely.
- Add the seasonings and mix well.
- Serve with idly or dosa.