We often eat oranges and throw the orange peel. This recipe uses the peels of orange to make a tasty and tangy kuzhambu. Orange peel contains good amounts of provitamin A, folate, riboflavin, thiamine, vitamin B6, and calcium.Orange peels help slow down growth of cancer cells. Orange peels help increase your metabolism and burn fat from your body. Many medical experts recommend orange peels as a cure to weight loss.
Orange Peel Kuzhambu
- Orange peels – ½ cup chopped finely
- Green chillies – 6 to 8 chopped finely
- Tamarind – small lemon sized
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – as needed or 1 tsp.
- Gingelly oil – 4 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Fenugreek seeds powder – ¾ tsp.
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp.
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Soak tamarind in hot water and extract juice and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add chopped green chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped orange peels and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the tamarind extract and salt and cook till the gravy thickens.
- Remove from fire and serve hot with rice.
- This kuzhambu will be spicy. If you want it to be less spicy add less green chillies.