Vazhaipoo is a superfood which has lots of health benefits. Vazhaipoo is also called as banana blossom, banana flower or banana heart. Banana flower is packed with essential minerals such as phosphorous, calcium, potassium, copper, magnesium and iron, vital for several bodily functions. Banana flower is good for diabetic patients as it reduces the level of blood sugar and raise the hemoglobin in the body as it is rich in fiber and iron which assists in red blood cell production.Select the firm and fresh flowers when you are purchasing banana flower. It should be free from the cuts and blemishes, and should have smooth appearance and bright. The overlapping of outer leaves should be tight.
Vazhaipoo porial is made by cooking vazhaipoo with simple spices and coconut.
For cleaning the vazhaipoo you can follow the link given here.
Vazhaipoo Porial / Banana Flower Curry
- Vazhaipoo / Banana Flower – 1
- Onion – 1
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Sambar Powder – 1 tsp.
- Grated Coconut – ½ cup
- Salt – as needed or ½ tsp.
- Oil – 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ured Dhal – 1 tsp.
- Red Chillies – 2 broken into half
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Clean Vazhaipoo and chop into fine pieces and soak them in buttermilk till you use.
- Heat oil in a pan and mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add ured dhal, red chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Now squeeze chopped vazhaipoo and add it alongwith salt, turmeric powder and sambar powder and fry well.
- Add little water and cook till the vazhaipoo cooks well and water is fully absorbed.
- At the end add grated coconut and mix well and switch off the flame.