Millets are nutricious, gluten free and rich in fibre and vitamins. Little millets are suitable for all age groups. Little millet also helps to reduce weight. You can eat it as a rice replacement. It is rich in minerals such as potassium, zinc, iron and calcium. It is also packed with the health benefits of vitamin B and works as an antioxidant for your body, once consumed.
Samai Arisi / Little Millet Aappam
- Samai Arisi / Little Millet – 2 cups
- Ured Dhal – ¼ cup
- Matta Rice – ¼ cup
- Salt – 1 tsp. or as needed
- Soak little millet, ured dhal and matta rice for 4 hours.
- Grind to a smooth batter in a grinder.
- Remove the batter from the grinder and add salt and mix well.
- Keep the batter in a big vessel and close with a lid and let it ferment for 12 hours.
- THeat aappam pan and add a teaspoon of oil.
- Take a ladle full of the batter and pour in the pan.
- Swirl the batter by taking the handle and rotating.
- Add a teaspoon of oil and close with the lid by keeping it in low flame.
- Slowly the aappam will cook well.
- Remove the aappam and serve hot with Potato Stew or Vegetable Stew.
- You can also use leftover cooked rice instead of matta rice for grinding.
- You can also mix other millets and make aappam.