Kathirikkai kondaikadalai kuzhambu is an easy to make and simple South Indian Dish. This is a spicy and tangy kuzhambu. This goes well with rice or dosa. This kuzhambu tastes well when you keep for the next day.
Usually this kuzhambu is prepared with black channa. But I have used kabuli channa here.
Brinjal Channa Curry / Kathirikkai Kondaikadalai Kuzhambu
Kathirikkai kondaikadalai kuzhambu is an easy to make and simple South Indian Dish. This is a spicy and tangy kuzhambu. This goes well with rice or dosa. This kuzhambu tastes well when you keep for the next day. Usually this kuzhambu is prepared with black channa. But I have used kabuli channa here.
- Kabuli Channa – ½ cup
- Medium Purple Brinjals – 3 cut into 1 inch square pieces
- Onion – 1 chopped finely
- Tomato – 1 chopped finely
- Grated Coconut – ½ cup
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Tamarind – small lemon sized ball
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Sambar Powder – 1 tsp.
- Salt – as needed or 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Gingelly Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Soak channa in the night itself.
- In the morning pressure cook the channa and keep aside.
- Grind coconut to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in enough hot water and extract the juice and keep aside.
- Chop the brinjals in 1 inch pieces and keep them in water till it is needed. This prevents brinjals from getting black.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the mustard seeds splutter add the fenugreek seeds and fry for a second. Do not over fry. Otherwise the kuzhambu will turn bitter.
- Now add chopped onins and garlic and fry till the onions turn trasparent.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the chopped brinjals and fry for 5 minutes or till the brinjals get cooked. You can sprinkle some water and cook.
- Now add the cooked channa, tamarind extract, salt, turmeric powder and sambar powder and mix well.
- Let the gravy boil.
- Add the coconut paste and cook in medium flame till the gravy thickens.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with curry leaves.
- Serve hot with cooked rice.
Drumstick And Onion Kuzhambu | Hema's Kitchen
[…] Kathirikkai Kondaikadalai Kuzhambu […]