We make different types of podis at home. Making podis and storing saves us ample time in our kitchen. Whenever we have time, we can make such powders at home and preserve. If we plan and cook, we can save lots of time.
Today I am posting a recipe for making pudhina podi. We can have this powder with hot stamed rice with little ghee or use in any curry for flavouring and even use in biriyani when pudhina leaves are not available at home.
Pudhina Podi / Mint Leaves Powder
- Pudhina or Mint Leaves – 1 cup
- Ured Dhal – 2 tsp.
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp.
- Salt – as needed
- Asafoetida – 1 tsp.
- Oil – 1 tsp.
- Remove pudhina leaves from stalk and wash well and dry till all the moisture is gone.
- In a pan, heat oil and add asafoetida and fry well.
- Now add ured dhal and black pepper and fry till pepper bursts and remove and keep in a plate for cooling.
- In the same pan, add the pudhina leavees and fry for 3 to 4 minutes in low flame and switch off the stove. Let it cool down.
- In the mixie small jar, take the fried asafoetida, black pepper and ured dhal and grind well.
- Now add the pudhina leaves and salt and grind well.
- Store in an airtight container.