Rasam is a South Indian dish which is made with tamarind, tomatoes and some spices and herbs. We make different types of rasam at our home like Tomato Rasam, Paruppu Rasam, Pepper Rasam and Cumin Seeds Rasam.
This rasam is made with ajwain or omam. Omam aids in digestion. It helps to relieve indigestion, bloating and gas. This rasam tastes so good that you will want to make more.
Omam / Ajwain Rasam
- Omam / Ajwain – ½ tsp.
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Pepper Corns – 8
- Dhania – ½ tsp.
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Red Chillies – 3
- Garlic Cloves – 5
- Tomato – 1
- Curry Leaves – a handful
- Tamarind – a small lemon sized
- Ghee – 1 tsp.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of hot water and extract tamarind juice.
- In a mixie, add dhania seeds, cumin seeds, garlic pieces, ajwain, pepper corns, red chillies and tomato and grind to a coarse paste.
- Add the ground mixture to tamrind juice and add 1 cup of water and salt and mix well.
- In a pan heat ghee and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves and fry for half a minute.
- Add the tamarind mixture and heat.
- Heat till the boiling starts and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with hot rice or you can drink as a soup.