Karamani is rich in fibre and are excellent source of complex carbohydrates. Black eyed beans helps to reduce blood sugar levels, improving blood pressure, decreasing blood lipid levels and reducing inflammation.
If we want to make some different vada variety, we can try making this. This dish is famous in Andhra Pradesh and prepared during Sankranthi festival.
Karamani Vadai / Black Eyed Beans Vada
- 1/2 cup Black Eyed Beans / Karamani
- 1/2 cup Channa Dhal
- 1 Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 Green Chillies (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Curry Leaves a handful
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak karamani whole night in water.
- Soak the channa dhal for 2 hours.
- Drain water from both the dhals and first grind karamani in a mixer coarsely. Then add channa dhal and grind to a coarse paste.
- Take the ground paste in a vessel and add salt, curry leaves, chopped onions and green chilies and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and take small ball from the batter and flatten it with hands by touching with water. Make a hole in the centre and deep fry the vadas till golden brown in colour.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with coconut chutney.