We make different types of idly podi. Idly podi is an accompaniment to idlies or dosa. This garlic idly podi is a flavourful and tasty podi which needs some patience to make. We need to peel garlic and crush them and roast them and grind with some other roasted spices. Care should be taken not to roast the garlic too much. Otherwise the podi will become bitter.
Garlic Idly Powder / Poondu Milagai Podi
- Garlic Cloves - ½ cup peeled
- Grated Coconut - ½ cup
- Urad Dhal - ½ cup
- Asafoetida - ½ tsp.
- Red Chillies - 15
- Cumin Seeds - ½ tsp.
- Dhania - 1 tsp.
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Gingelly Oil - 2 tsp.
- Remove skin from garlic pieces and crush them and keep.
- In a nonstick pan add ½ teaspoon of oil and heat.
- Now add crushed garlic pieces and roast in medium flame till it dries and roasted. Stir continuously so that it does not turn brown. Roast till the water content is lost. Remove and keep in a plate separately. You have to add the garlic at the last only when grinding.
- Take half spoon of oil and add red chillies and roast. Do not roast too much. The colour of red chillies should not change. Transfer into another plate.
- Now add urad dhal and roast till it becomes golden bown and transfer it to the plate in which you have kept red chillies.
- Add cumin seeds and dhania seeds and roast for a second.
- Add grated coconut and roast n medium flame till it turns reddish brown in colour.
- Let everything cool down.
- Take a mixie jar and add red chilies, ured dhal and salt and grind to a fine powder.
- Add coconut mixture and garlic and grind. Do not grind at a stretch. Grind little by little. Do not grind nicely.