Rasam is always present in traditional South Indian lunch menu. We make different types of rasam in our home like lemon rasam, paruppu rasam, milagu rasam, kalyana rasam and mysore rasam. We can drink rasam as a soup and it aids in digestion. We generally add drumstick in sambar. But this is different recipe in which we add drumsticks in rasam. This rasam is different and tastes so good. Try making this rasam at home.
- Toor Dhal - ¼ cup
- Drumsticks - 3 chopped into 2 inch lengths
- Tomato - 1 chopped finely
- Tamarind - small lemon sized
- Asafoetida - ¼ tsp.
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Rasam Powder - 2 tsps.
- Ghee - 2 tsps.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Coriander Leaves - a handful
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Soak tamarind in a cup of hot water and take the juice and keep aside.
- Pressure cook half of the drumstick pieces along with toor dhal and turmeric powder.
- Remove the dhal once cooked and mash well.
- Take the cooked drumsticks and remove the pulp and keep aside.
- In a pan add the remaining drumsticks and a cup of water and cook the drumsticks well.
- Now add the tamarind extract, salt and asafoetida and boil. Let the raw smell of tamarind go.
- Now add the cooked toor dhal, drumstick pulp and rasam powder and mix well.
- When the rasam starts to boil switch off the stove.
- In another pan, heat ghee and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add it to the cooked rasam.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.