Mochai Kottai or Field Beans Masal vadai is a variation of the masal vadai we make in south India. In this, we add some field beans and grind for vada. This vada is crispy on the outer side and soft on the inner side.
Field beans is rich in proteins and fiber. It has a rich content of iron and calcium. Most of us think that having mochai kottai will give gas problems. But if you cook this along with ginger and garlic this problem will not happen. Field beans is also good for people with diabetes.
Mochai Kottai / Field Beans Masal Vadai
- Mochai Kottai / Field Beans - 1 cup
- Channa Dhal - 1 cup
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Garlic Cloves - 8
- Onion - 1 chopped finely
- Red Chillies - 4 or 5
- Fennel Seeds or Sombu - 1 tsp.
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Curry Leaves - a handful chopped finely
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Oil - for deep frying the vadas
- Clean and soak channa dhal for 3 hours.
- Wash the fresh field beans and pressure cook them with enough water. If fresh mochai is not available you can soak dry mochai in water for 8 hours and use.
- Remove field beans from pressure cooker and drain the water and let it cool. Do not throw away the water. You can always use it to make any kuzhambu.
- Now drain the water from channa dhal and grind both channa dhal and field beans to a coarse paste along with ginger, garlic red chillies and salt.
- Take the ground mixture in a vessel and add chopped onons and curry leaves and mix well. if the vada batter is watery, you can add some gram flour.
- Heat oil in a pan and flatten small balls and slowly slide in the vadas in hot oil.
- Fry both sides till golden brown.
- Remove and drain the vadas in a colander.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice.