White turmeric or maangai ingi looks like turmeric and ginger and has a mango taste. It looks white in colour. It is one of the ancient spices of India. We generally make pickles using white turmeric. White turmeric has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties that keep you from any digestive or respiratory issues. White turmeric consists of several anti-oxidants, thus it inhibits production of free radicals. Free radicals destroy cells of the body and cause further harm.
Maangai Ingi Oorugaai / White Turmeric (Mango Ginger) Pickle
- Mango Ginger - ½ kg.
- Lemon - 6
- Salt - as needed or 3 tsps.
- Red Chilli Powder - as needed or 3 tsps.
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp.
- Asafoetida - ¼ tsp.
- Gingelly Oil - 1 ladle
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Wash and clean the mango ginger pat dry with a clean towel.
- Peel the skin and cut into thin round discs.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add asafoetida powder and fry for a minute.
- Now add the mango ginger and fry in low flame along with salt till the mango ginger is half cooked.
- Now add chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add some more oil if the oil is less. You should add more oil for the pickle to stay long.
- Cook till the water from the mango ginger completely dries.
- Now switch off the stove and add lemon juice taken from 6 lemon and mix well.
- When the pickle cools down store in an airtight container.
- This pickle will be good for two weeks when kept outside.