Each and every part of plantain stem is useful and packed with lots of health benefits. Plantain stem also has lots of health benefits. It is good for people with diabetes as banana stem slows down the release of sugar and fats stored in the body’s cells. It also improves metabolism, and contains very few calories. Plantain stem juice is very good for weight loss and it flushes out toxins from our body. As plantain stem is rich in fibre, it helps in bowel movements.my mother used to say that if you regularly consume banana stem, we can avoid kidney stones forming in our body.
Vazhaithandu Porial / Plantain Stem Curry
- Plantain Stem / Vazhaithandu -1 medium
- Grated Coconut - ¼ cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Salt - ½ tsp. or as needed
- Oil - 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ured Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Red Chilly - 1 broken into two
- Remove the outer portion of vazhaithandu and chop into small pieces and keep in buttermilk till you use. Otherwise plantain stem will turn black.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add ured dhal and red chillies and fry for a minute in low flame.
- Now add the chopped plantain stem, water, turmeric powder and salt and boil.
- Cook till the plantain stem curry is dry.
- At last add the grated coconut and mix well and switch off the stove.
- Plantain stem curry is ready to serve with rice.