Broken wheat is obtained by milling wheat grains coarsely. As it does not go for refining, this is highly nutritious. We can find different sizes of broken wheat in the store. Large size broken wheat can be cooked and had instead of rice. And the smaller ones can be used for upma, kheer, porridge, etc.
Broken wheat is rich in fiber as wheat with husk is used for making broken wheat. So this is very good for people with diabetes. Broken wheat is rich in iron and magnesium.
We usually make different types of pongal like Ven Pongal, Rava Pongal and Millets Pongal. For a change I tried making pongal with broken wheat. I have not roasted and added cashew nuts. But if you want you can add that for a rich feeling.
Samba Rava / Gothumai Ravai Pongal / Broken Wheat Pongal
- Samba Rava / Gothumai Ravai - 1 cup
- Moong Dhal / Paasi Paruppu - ½ cup
- Ghee - 1 tbsp.
- Whole Black Pepper - 1 tsp.
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ginger - 1 inch piece chopped finely
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Water - 3 cups
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Dry roast moong dhal in a pan without oil till a nice aroma gets. Dry roasting will remove all the gassy properties of the dhal.
- Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook the dhal for 3 whistles.
- In a pan, heat ghee and add cumin seeds, whole pepper and roast in medium flame till the pepper splutters.
- Now add the finely chopped ginger and fry for a minute.
- Add remaining water and cooked dhal along with salt and boil.
- When the water boils, add the samba rava and close with a lid and cook in low flame till the pongal gets cooked.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice.