Puli pongal is a traditional Breakfast prepared in Tamilnadu. Pongal means mashed up rice. This is a pongal made with tamarind and broken rice with some seasonings. This is a tangy and tasty dish which can be prepared very easily. Puli pongal tastes best with coconut chutney or daangar pachadi.
- Broken Rice - 1 cup
- Tamarind - small lemon sized
- Gingelly Oil or Sesame Oil - 3 tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp.
- Ured Dhal - ½ tsp.
- Channa Dhal - ½ tsp.
- Peanuts - 1 tsp.
- Red Chillies - 3
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp.
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Soak tamarind in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes and extract juice and keep aside. If you want you can use tamarind paste.
- In a pressure cooker, heat gingelly oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add ured dhal, channa dhal, asafoetida and peanuts and roast foe some time.
- When it turns red add curry eaves and red chillies and saute for a minute.
- Now add the broken rice, tamarind juice and 1 and a half cup of water along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Close the pressure cooker with the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- When cooled remove the lid and mix well.
- Serve hot with Coconut Chutney or Daangar Pachadi.