Millets are cereal crops and small seed grasses and has many health benefits. We call millets as Sirudhaniyam in tamil. Millets are gluten free & rich in calcium, fiber, iron, protein and minerals. It has high nutritional values when compared with rice and wheat. Millets are also called as wonder grains or miracle grains as millets are good for people with diabetes and helps in weight loss. If you want to have gluten free food, then you can use millets in your diet.
I received lot of requests from many of my readers asking how to cook millets rice or sappadu? So I thought of compiling a post about cooking millets perfectly.
You can cook any millet in using the following method. But we need to soak foxtail millet for some time before cooking. There is no need to soak other millets. But if you want you can soak other millets also.
If you want to cook millets as a replacement for rice or you want to make any fried rice or kalandha sadam, you can use the millet to water ratio of 1:2. If you want the millets to be soft and for making pongal you can use the rario 1:3.
Cooking Millets / Sirudhaniyam In Pressure Cooker
- Millets like foxtail barnyard, kodo and little millet - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Wash and clean the millet and soak in water for 15 minutes.
- Cook in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles and then keep in simmer for 10 minutes and switch off the flame.
- When the pressure is released, you can remove the lid and mix well.
- Millets rice is ready to be served.