Have you started making vadams at home? Here is one interesting and healthy vadam that you can try at home. Bajra flour is an excellent source of iron, protein, folic acid and fibre that keeps complex ailments like anemia, constipation,obesity in check and flushes out all toxins from our body. It is also gluten free and energy is released slowly by them as it consists of complex carbohydrates and it keeps us full for longer time. Hence this is good for people with diabetes.
Bajra / Pearl Millet Vadam
- Bajra flour – 2 cups heaped
- Javvarisi / Sago – ¼ cup
- Green chillies – 4 or 5
- Asafoetida powder – little
- Lemon – 1
- Water -– 4 cups
- Salt – 1 to 1 ½ tsp. or as needed
- Soak sago for 4 hours.
- Grind green chillies in a mixer and keep.
- Take water and boil it in a broad vessel.
- Mash the soaked sago and add it to the boiling water.
- Cook till it becomes transparent.
- Add the chilli paste, asafoetida and salt.
- Mix well and switch off the stove.
- Add the bajra flour and mix well without forming lumps.
- Close and keep this for half an hour.
- Now add lemon juice and mix well once more.
- Take a plastic sheet and spread it in an area where you get hot sun and keep stones at the ends.
- Take a star shaped plate in murukku press and keep this flour inside it and press like a long murukku in the sheet.
- Dry in the hot sun and keep them at home in the evening and keep opened.
- Let it dry for 2 to 3 days in the sun.
- When fully dry, you can break them and store them in airtight containers.
- Now you can fry this in oil and have with rice.