Beetroots are one of the health food. Beetroots are rich in fibre, anti-oxidants and is full of vitamins and minerals. As beetroots are rich in fiber it prevents constipation and it also helps to lower cholesterol levels. Beetroots are low in calorie and has no fat. According to recent study, beetroot increases insulin sensitivity and prevent oxidative stress-induced changes as it is rich in both betalain and neo betanin. Both these nutrients help lower glucose levels, which is very helpful for diabetes patients.
Today I am sharing kootu made with beetroot. This is a simple kootu in which we add channa dhal along with beetroot in a coconut paste.
- Beetroot - 2 peeled andcut into small pieces
- Channa Dhal - ½ cup
- Salt - as needed or 1 tsp.
- Grated Coconut - ½ cup
- Cumin Seeds - ½ tsp.
- Green Chillies - 2
- Oil - 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp.
- Soak channa dhal in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Now add cut beetroot in this and cook in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- In the meantime, grind grated coconut, cumin seeds and green chillies in a mixer to a smooth paste by adding little water.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, you can add the cooked dhal and beetroot mixture, ground coconut mixture and salt and cook till the kootu becomes thick.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.