Rasam is a South Indian dish which is simple to make and it aids in good digestion as it contains cumin seeds, pepper and some more spices. We usually make rasam with tamarind and tomato. My mother used to make different types of rasam like Mysore rasam, pathiya rasam, kollu rasam, milagu rasam, paruppu rasam,etc. Lemon rasam is also a type of rasam my mother makes. In this raasam, we add lemon juice instead of tamarind.
Now I am sharing the recipe here.
South Indian Lemon Rasam
- Toor Dhal - ¼ cup
- Lemon - 1
- Tomato - 1 optional
- Rasam Powder - 2 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Salt - 1 tsp.
- Coriander Seeds - a handful for garnishing
- Ghee - 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Cook toor dhal in enough water in a pressure cooker till it becomes soft.
- In a pan, heat ghee and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add asafoetida and fry for a second.
- Now add finely chopped tomato if you are adding, and cook till the tomatoes are cooked well and becomes soft. Keep in simmer and fry the tomatoes.
- Now add the cooked toor dhal and some water and add turmeric powder, rasam powder and salt and boil.
- When it boils, switch off the stove and add coriander seeds.
- After 15 minutes take juice from one lemon and add to the rasam and mix well. we should add lemon juice after sometime only. Do not add lemon juice when the rasam is hot. Otherwise the rasam will turn bitter.
- Tasty lemon rasam is ready to serve.