This is a very interesting kuzhambu made from banana flower. The cleaning process only takes time. But this dish is worth a try. Banana flower has lots of health benefits and it is good for women in all ages.
Banana flowers treat infections, and also heals wounds. It also reduces free radicals that damage our body. A cup of cooked banana flowers can help deal with menstrual problems in women. Banana flowers contain various vitamins like Vitamin A, C and E. They also contain potassium and fibers. This makes them an excellent health food and a source of healthy nutrients. Since they contain magnesium, banana flowers reduce anxiety and boosts the mood. They are natural anti-depressants without any side effects. Banana flowers also boost the supply of milk that helps the new mothers feed their young better.
Vazhaipoo / Banana Flower Kuzhambu
- Banana Flower - 1 small
- Small onions or Shallots - 1 cup chopped finely
- Tomato - 1 chopped finely
- Garlic - 5 cloves chopped finely
- Sambar Powder - 1 ½ tsp.
- Tamarind - a small lemon sized
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Gingelly Oil - 3 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Small Onions or Shallots - 15
- Cumin Seeds - ½ tsp.
- Fennel Seeds or Sombu - 1 tsp.
- Red Chillies - 5
- Dhania / Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp.
- Oil - 1 tsp.
- Clean the banana flower and keep aside. I have already posted how to clean the banana flower in a separate post.
- Soak the tamarind in enough haot water and take tamarind extract and keep aside.
- Fry the ingredients given for grinding in 1 tsp. of oil and grind to a smooth pwder when it cools down in a mixer.
- In a kadai or pan, add oil and add mustard when the oil heats up.
- When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves and sauté for a minute.
- Now add the chopped onions and garlic and sauté till they turn brown.
- Add the tomato and cook for a minute.
- Now add the banana flower and sauté well.
- Add the ground masala paste, salt, sambar powder, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Now add the tamarind extract and 2 cups of water and boil till the kuzhambu thickens in low flame.
- Your healthy and tasty banana flower kuzhambu is ready to be served.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Here are some more recipes using banana flower.
Vazhaipoo Thuvaiyal / Banana Flower Chutney
Banana Flower / Vazhaipoo Vadai