In this season, we get tomatoes in lesser price. So thought of making tomato kuzhambu. This is a spicy tomato kuzhambu which I make very often at home. This kuzhambu is served with rice and the spiciness and the aroma of the dish will surely make everyone to love this dish.
We should use only fully ripe local tomatoes (Nattu Thakkali) for this dish. Then only the taste will be very good. These ripe tomstoes gives a very good colour to the kuzhambu.
Spicy Tomato/ Thakkali Kuzhambu
- Onion - 1 chopped finely
- Ripe Tomatoes - 5 chopped finely
- Garlic - 7 or 8 cloves chopped finely
- Tamarind - Small gooseberry sized
- Salt - as needed or 1 tsp.
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsps.
- Dhania Powder - 2 tsps.
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp.
- Gingelly Oil - 3 tsps.
- Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Soak tamarind in half cup of warm water and extract tamarind juice.
- In a pan, heat oil and add fennel seeds.
- When the seeds turn red, add chopped garlic and fry for half a minute.
- Then add chopped onions and fry till onions turns its colour.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry till tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- We can now add the tamarind juice, chilli powder, salt, dhania powder, cumin powder and 1 cup of water and boil thee kuzhambu till it thickens.
- Now switch off the stove and garnish with curry leaves.
- Your spicy and tangy tomato kuzhambu is ready to be served.