Lemon rice is one of the most often made recipe and when we travel also we take rice like lemon rice, puliyodharai, etc. this rice will last long. My mother used to say that the longer you keep this rice, the taste will be enhanced.
Lemon Rice / Elumichampalam Sadam
Lemon rice is one of the most often made recipe and when we travel also we take rice like lemon rice, puliyodharai, etc. this rice will last long. My mother used to say that the longer you keep this rice, the taste will be enhanced.We can make this rice with freshly cooked rice or even with leftover rice at home. This is very easy to make also.
- Rice - 1 cup
- Lemon - 1 big
- Green Chillies - 4 slit lengthwise
- Salt - as needed or 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp.
- Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ured Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Channa Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Split Cashew Nuts - 10 or 12 optional
- Cook rice with enough water and cool the rice by keep in a in a plate and adding 1 tsp. of gingelly oil.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the ured and channa dhal and fry for a minute in low flame.
- Now add curry leaves and fry for half a minute.
- Add the slit green chillies and turmeric powder and mix well.
- After a minute add the cooked rice, salt and juice taken from the lemon and mix the rice well. The rice should have no lumps. Switch off the stove.
- In another pan, fry cashew nuts in a tsp. of oil and add this to the lemon rice.
- Your lemon rice is ready to be served.