Fresh mochai kottai is available plenty in this season. We make variety of dishes using mochai kottai. It is very healthy and tasty. Field beans is rich in proteins and helps in giving strength to our body. It is also rich in fibers and iron which is very good for people with diabetics. It is also revealed that field beans contain a lot of folates. This folates is very essential for every woman, especially for pregnant woman. Field beans also helps to reduce body heat.
But field beans increases gastric problems. If we are using field beans add more garlic, asafoetida and fennel seeds.
Mochai Kottai / Field Beans Kurma
- Cauliflower - 1 medium
- Carrots - 2
- Fresh Mochai Kottai or Field Beans - 1 cup
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Grated Coconut - ½ cup
- Green Chillies - 2
- Garlic - 7 or 8 cloves
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Oil - 2 tsps.
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu - 1 tsp.
- Coriander Leaves - a handful
- Cut the cauliflower and carrots into medium sized pieces and keep immersed in water until use.
- Soak field beans in water for one hour.
- Cut onion and tomato into fine pieces.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add fennel seeds.
- When the seeds turn red, add the chopped onion and fry till the onion turns translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomato and fry till the tomato turns soft.
- Add the chopped cauliflower and carrots and add the field beans and stir for a minute.
- You can add 1 to 1 and a half cups of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook til you get 1 whistle.
- In the meantime, grind grated coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds and garlic into a fine paste by adding little water.
- When the pressure cooker cools down, you can open the lid and add this coconut mixture and salt.
- Boil the kurma till it thickens and switch off the stove.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- You can serve this with dosa, chapathi, etc.
Here are some more recipes using Mochai Kottai