Parboiled rice murukku or puzhungal arisi murukku is a traditional murukku prepared in our home. For making this murukku we have to soak the boiled rice and then grind to a thick batter. Then we have to make the murukku. This murukku is crispy and tasty and making this murukku is little time consuming. But it is worth making this murukku.
Parboiled Rice / Puzhungal Arisi Murukku
- Parboiled rice or pulungal arisi - 2 cups
- Roasted gram / pottukadalai - 1 cup
- Ured dal - 2 tbsps
- Ghee - 2 tbsps
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Red Chillies - 4
- Oil - For deep frying the murukkus
- Soak parboiled rice, red chillies and ured dhal together for 2 hours. Do not soak more than 2 hours.
- Grind the soaked rice and ured dhal along with red chillies to a thick and smooth batter. Do not add more water. Add very little water. This will take about 45 minutes. At the end add salt and mix well.
- In the meantime, dry roast the roasted gram in a pan and grind to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Now take the ground batter in a vessel and add the powdered flour and ghee and mix well so that it is like the murukku dough.
- Heat oil for deep frying the murukku.
- Now take the murukku press and press small small murukkus and fry them on both sides. Ensure that the oil is hot nough before frying by putting a very small piece of batter in oil. If it comes up immediately, the oil is hot enough.
- Remove the murukku and keep in a perforated vessel.
- Now you can store them in an airtight container when the murrukus becomes cold.