When we pack for lunch, making variety rice and packing is a good option. This is a simple and easy dish which can be made even with leftover rice. It uses very simple ingredients like tomato, peas and garlic. There are variety of tomato rice which we can make. But this is a simple version which I make often at home.
Tomato Peas Bhath
- Rice - 1 cup
- Onion- 1 chopped finely
- Tomatoes - 2 chopped finely
- Peas - ½ cup
- Garlic - 8 or 9 cloves chopped finely
- Green Chillies - 4 slit lengthwise
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Oil - 3 tsps.
- Salt - As needed or 1 tsp.
- Coriander Leaves - For garnishing
- Pressure cook rice with enough water and cool down the rice by keeping in a plate and adding 1 teaspoon of oil. If you have leftover rice, you can also use them.
- After the rice has cooled down, take a pan and heat oil.
- Add the chopped garlic and fry for a minute till raw smell goes in medium flame.
- Now add the chopped onions and green chillies and fry till it becomes transparent.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy and soft.
- You can now add the peas and fry for some more time till the peas gets cooked. You can sprinkle little water and cook the peas.
- Now add turmeric powder and salt and cook for a minute.
- Add the cooked and cooled rice and mix them well so that the rice is coated well.
- Switch off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.