Jowar is one of the health grains in the world. We can use jowar flour to make rotis, idlies, dosas and upma. It is highly nutritious. Jowar is rich in nutrients such as calcium, fibre, iron, phosphorus, thiamin and protein. The fibre content in jowar helps to reduce hunger pangs and thus helps in weight loss. The magnesium, calcium and copper present in jowar helps us to maintain stronger bones and tissues. It is also good for people with diabetes and is gluten free.
Jowar Flour Upma / Weight Loss Upma
- Jowar Flour - 1 cup
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp.
- Buttermilk - ½ cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Oil - 2 tbsp.
- Ured Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Peanuts - ¼ cup
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp.
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Heat a pan and dry roast jowar flour till its colour changes.
- Transfer into a plate and let it cool down.
- In another pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds splutter, add the ured dhal and peanuts and fry till the peanuts strats to pop.
- Now add turmeric powder, asafoetida and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add the roasted jowar flour and fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now add the chilli powder, salt and water and mix well so that no lumps are formed.
- Cover and cook for 7 minutes and mix in between occasionally.
- Now add the buttermilk and mix well and cook for 3 more minutes and switch off the heat.
- Cover and keep for 5 minutes.
- Now Jowar upma is ready to serve.
Try Other Jowar Recipes: