This is an interesting recipe of Malabar spinach which I learnt from Sunita Vishumurthy Bhat from one of my Facebook groups. This a recipe of UttarKanara Konkani aka GSB Community. Making this dish is very simple and easy. I tried this dish and it came out very well and I thought of sharing with you all.
Malabar Spinach/ Basale Dhal
- Malabar Spinach / Basale - 1 bunch
- Toor Dhal - ½ cup
- Red Chilles - 6 to 7
- Onion - 1 chopped finely
- Grated Coconut - ½ cup
- Tamarind - small lemon sized
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 2 tsps.
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Grind grated coconut, red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste by adding little water and keep aside.
- Cook toor dhal in a pressure cooker with turmeric powder and keep aside.
- Clean and chop the Malabar spinach and keep aside.
- In a pan take 1 cup of water and add the chopped Malabar spinach and cook till the spinach shrinks well and cooks well.
- Then add cooked toor dhal and mix well.
- Now add the ground coconut paste and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add salt now and let the gravy boil for 5 minutes or till it thickens and switch off the stove.
- In a pan take oil and add chopped onions and fry for 1 minute and add to the dhal. The onions should be crispy and do not fry the onions well. The raw smell should be there.
- Your healthy and tasty Malabar Spinach Dhal is ready to be served.